About the opportunity
We’re looking to grow our team at the Volunteer Centre and increase the number of people volunteering in the district. Our Volunteers are the first point of contact for people accessing the centre and need to
be reliable, friendly and enjoy helping people.
The roles are varied and provide volunteers with a wide range of skills and experience in a busy office of a thriving local charity.
What will I be doing?
Tasks that a volunteer role might include are listed below to give an example of the work that we do, but we’re keen to hear from anyone who can be flexible and wants to make a difference.
- Working on reception answering telephone calls and dealing with enquiries from individuals and organisations
- Greeting visitors to the centre, establishing the purpose of their visit and providing them with information or ensuring they are looked after by the right member of the team as appropriate
- Using our extensive volunteering database, inputting registration forms and processing online volunteer applications
- Responding to emails
- Creating suitable portfolios of volunteering opportunities that match the interests, skills and availability of each client
- Promoting the work of the Volunteer Centre throughout the District
- Assisting us with our social media strategy
- Supporting our pop-up volunteer centres in Bushey, Potters Bar and Radlett
About the Organisation
Since being created in 2009 from a merger of two community organisations within Hertsmere, Communities 1st has grown into a successful charitable organisation with strong links to the communities in which we work.
Communities 1st aims to develop and promote a healthier and more thriving community by supporting and enabling people to become more actively involved in the community. We encourage individual volunteering and support groups working to achieve benefits for our community.
Our specific projects have been supported by reputable funders such as the National Lottery, European Social Fund, Hertfordshire County Council, Hertsmere Borough Council and Affinity Sutton Housing as well as many local businesses.
We involve volunteers in a variety of roles and have something to suit all skills, talents, interests and availability. You will be valued and supported in whichever role you decide to undertake and the chances are you'll have fun too!
What are they looking for?
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience
- Committed to working with the community with a passion for helping others less fortunate.
- Good written skills able to speak confidently with variety of stakeholders
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to monitor and maintain own standards and pay attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills
- Flexible approach and willingness to work as part of a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft word
- Ability to work independently and ask for clarification when needed
- We need volunteers to be able to commit to at least three hours a fortnight for a minimum period of 3 months
This opportunity is suitable for those people who would like to get office based experience.
No formal qualifications or prior guiding experience are required to volunteer with us.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and abilities.
A full charity induction will be given before the volunteer starts with us and ongoing training is offered depending on which event you are working on.
Home based and in your local area.
References will be required from applications and will be taken up.
Please apply asap as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Volunteers MUST be over 16 (or be accompanied by an adult if under 16).
We need volunteers to be able to commit to at least three hours a fortnight for a minimum period of 6 months
- Once a number of sessions have been completed we will be happy to provide a reference.
- Gain basic office skills, with an opportunity to progress into more varied roles.
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed.
- Satisfaction of helping people
- Positive work environment, part of the friendly Community Hertsmere team
- Training in Equality and Diversity, Customer Service