About the opportunity
We are a small friendly team of staff and volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds. As a Volunteer Speaker you will represent the Communities 1st at events and meetings. You will be confident in speaking
about the cause and the work of the charity and you will develop relationships with key supporters and individuals as part of the process.
Raising awareness of who we are and what we do is very important to the charity so we are looking for a proactive volunteer who will seek out speaking opportunities and make asks on behalf of the charity to attend events where further awareness can be raised.
What will I be doing?
Attending events and meetings on behalf of Communities 1st. The events and activities the charity is invited to vary from large conferences or fundraising activities such as supporter coffee mornings, quiz nights and cheque presentation opportunities.
Using all events as an opportunity to engage existing and new audiences in the work of Communities 1st.
Listening to supporters and members of the public at events to find out more about their charity giving and any knowledge or experience they have had with Communities 1st.
Recognising opportunities to exchange contact details and develop relationships.
Feeding back to the Chief Executive on events, key individuals and any action to be followed up.
About the Organisation
Since being created in 2009 from a merger of two community organisations within Hertsmere, Communities 1st has grown into a successful charitable organisation with strong links to the communities in which we work.
Communities 1st aims to develop and promote a healthier and more thriving community by supporting and enabling people to become more actively involved in the community. We encourage individual volunteering and support groups working to achieve benefits for our community.
Our specific projects have been supported by reputable funders such as the National Lottery, European Social Fund, Hertfordshire County Council, Hertsmere Borough Council and Affinity Sutton Housing as well as many local businesses.
We involve volunteers in a variety of roles and have something to suit all skills, talents, interests and availability. You will be valued and supported in whichever role you decide to undertake and the chances are you'll have fun too!
What are they looking for?
- Excellent oral communication. Representing the charity is an important role and can effect subsequent fundraising and engagement with the charity so you should be confident to deliver key messages clearly and enthusiastically.
- You should be happy to be photographed for the press and be able to thank donors appropriately for donations.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Relationship building - when attending events you are the eyes and ears for the Chief Executive.
- You will be adaptable to different situations and ensure you research and prepare material appropriate for your audiences.
- Flexible to attend events at irregular dates and times throughout the year.
- Reporting and evaluation skills
- Commit at least 1 day per month
No formal qualifications or prior guiding experience are required to volunteer with us.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and abilities.
A full charity induction will be given before the volunteer starts with us and ongoing training is offered depending on which event you are working on.
Home based and in your local area.
References will be required from applications and will be taken up.
Please apply asap as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Volunteers MUST be over 16 (or be accompanied by an adult if under 16).
A minimum of six months commitment is required.
- Once a number of sessions have been completed we will be happy to provide a reference.
- Gain basic office skills, with an opportunity to progress into more varied roles.
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed.
- Satisfaction of helping people
- Positive work environment, part of the friendly Community Hertsmere team
- Training in Equality and Diversity, Customer Service